Hot chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream
(makes 20 cupcakes)
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 packet Hot Chocolate mixed with 3/4 cup warm milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients: eggs, hot chocolate/milk mixture, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Peppermint Buttercream and garnish with Peppermint Bark.
For the icing:
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add milk until you reach desired consistency.
- Add peppermint extract and mix well.
- Place icing in piping bag fitted with a large round tip and frost cupcakes.
- Garnish cupcakes with Peppermint Bark and white nonpareils (optional).
12 oz Chocolate Bark
12 oz Vanilla Bark
20 mini candy canes, crushed
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate bark in microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until melted. Pour melted chocolate onto prepared baking sheet and spread evently with a spatula. Let chocolate harden for about 30 minutes.
- Melt vanilla bark in microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until melted.
- Add peppermint extract to melted vanilla and stir. Pour melted vanilla overtop of hardened chocolate and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes ontop of candy bark.
- Allow bark to harden for about 30 minutes before breaking into pieces. Garnish cupcakes.
Hot Air Balloon Baby Shower Cake