Apple pie cupcakes
(makes 24 cupcakes)
For the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated apples (2 granny smith, 2 gala)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In large bowl combine eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla and whisk together.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Fold grated apples into the cake mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
For the apple pie filling:
3 apples, finely chopped (2 granny smith, 1 gala)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Place chopped apples, butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in medium size pan and cook over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, until apples are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Use an apple corer to remove the center of the cupcakes and fill with apple pie filling.
For the icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon to taste
- In bowl of stand mixer combine egg whites and brown sugar. Place over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. (The mixture should feel smooth when rubbed between your fingers)
- Attach bowl to mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Starting on low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high whisk until fixture if fluffy and glossy, about 10 minutes.
- Change mixer to paddle attachment and on medium speed add butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon to taste and mix well.
- Place icing in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and squeeze a dollop on top of each cupcake.
For the pie crust topper:
1 refrigerated pie crust
cinnamon & sugar
mini apple pie cookie cutter
- Bring one refrigerated pie crust to room temperature by sitting on counter for about 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour surface and roll out pie crust.
- Use mini apple cookie cutter to cut pie crust toppers.
- Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish cupcakes with mini pie crust apples.